As a busy mom, finding time for exercise may seem like an impossible task. However, adding physical activity into your daily routine is essential for your overall physical and mental health. I know I am a more patient mom when I take the time to exercise every day. Even though we all know the importance of daily exercise, finding the time to do it can be incredibly challenging.
Fitting Exercise in Your Daily Schedule
Embrace the Power of Mini Workouts
- Break your exercise routine into shorter, more manageable chunks, I love to take a quick 10-minute walk after a meal whenever I can.
- Fit in quick workouts during your child’s nap time or while they play independently.
- Try exercises like squats, lunges, or planks that can be done in small spaces.
Involve Your Kids in Your Fitness Routine
- Turn exercise into a fun family activity by involving your children.
- Take walks or bike rides together in the park.
- Play active games like tag or hide-and-seek that get everyone moving.
- Hiking is a great way to involve the whole family.
Make Use of Early Mornings
- Wake up a bit earlier to squeeze in a workout before the day gets busy.
- Lay out your exercise clothes and equipment the night before to save time.
- Engage in energizing activities like yoga or jogging to kickstart your day.
Utilize Technology and Online Resources
- Explore workout apps, YouTube channels, or fitness websites that offer home workouts. I have found amazing workouts just by searching “strength training workouts for women” on YouTube.
- Stream fitness classes or follow exercise routines tailored for busy moms. Social media can be a great way to find resources for this.
- Find workout videos that allow you to exercise alongside your favorite trainers.
Multitask with Daily Chores
- Combine exercise with daily chores to make the most of your time.
- Do squats while folding laundry or calf raises while washing dishes.
- Use a stability ball as a chair while working at your desk to engage your core muscles.
- Think about yard work as a chance to spend time outside and get a great total body workout. Put in your headphones and listen to your favorite podcast to make the time fly by.
Schedule Exercise as a Non-Negotiable Appointment
- Treat exercise as an important commitment and schedule it into your calendar.
- Prioritize your workout time and avoid scheduling conflicts.
- Communicate with your family members, letting them know that this time is a top priority of yours.
Find Support and Accountability
- Connect with other moms who share your fitness goals.
- Join exercise groups or online communities for support and motivation.
- Consider finding a workout buddy who you can make a weekly workout date with.
- Catch up with friends while walking. Instead of sitting while you catch up over coffee, turn it into a walking coffee date.
Maximize Time During Your Child’s Activities
- Use the time while your child is at their extracurricular activities for your own exercise.
- Walk or jog around the park while your child attends soccer practice.
- Bring your yoga mat and do stretches while waiting for ballet class to end.
- Bonus points if you can get a fellow mom to join in!
As a busy mom, finding time for exercise requires creativity, commitment, and flexibility. By incorporating these practical tips into your daily routine, you can prioritize your fitness and well-being. Remember, taking care of yourself is not only beneficial for you but also sets a positive example for your children. With a little creativity and some smart scheduling, you can make daily exercise a part of your routine. Before you know it, you will wonder what you did without it!